IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776
The unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America
“When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.”
“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.”
Notice it Does NOT say the Declaration guarantees happiness but: “and the pursuit of happiness”.
- Too many folks have misread the statement and think the Government “owes” them a ‘cradle to grave life subsistence’.
- i.e.: “An entitlement mentality is pervasive!”
- Everyone wants a life of Happiness!
- But life isn’t one l-o-o-o-ong journey of Bliss!
- We are given (by God) the rights of “life and liberty and the pursuit of happiness”.
The Declaration Concludes with these important words:
“And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.”
- And sooooo many folks say: “Oh no, I didn’t sign up for that!”
- You can’t have a Mountain top without a Valley!
- You can’t have ‘life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness’ without the commitment and willingness to “pledge our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor”.
- And the “firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence”.
Over the years, I have gained a reputation (an M.O.) of giving $2 bills for ‘tips’ and gifts, etc.
Hospital Valet – Shows appreciation and includes the benefit of excellent service!
Restaurants — Waiters are anxious to receive such a ‘novelty!’
Espresso Drive Thru – Know me by the $2 bills!
I’ve said that to say: It dawned on me one day that the back side of the $2 bill has a “picture of the signing of the Declaration of Independence”. No wonder I so identify with $2 bills.
Talking about Happiness:
I was at a Chiropractic Office in the waiting room, when a young Spanish woman walked by and touched my shoulder and said: “Be Happy!”
I turned and said? “What?”
She said: “Be Happy!”
I said: “Do I know you?”
She said: “No, but the LORD told me to tell you that you need to enjoy life!”
Some ideas of Happiness:
Someone said: “One of the happiest days in a man’s life is when he buys a boat.”
The same someone said: “One of the happiest days in a man’s life is when he sells his boat.”
Could Happiness be Retirement?
Remember the five simple rules to be happy:
- Free your heart from hatred.
- Free your mind from worries.
- Live simply.
- Give more.
- Expect less.
JOY (JESUS – Others – You)
Have a nice day, unless you already have other plans. ☺